What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
Start with a pick-up at the cruise docks and transfer over to the kayak base for gear fitting, before heading for the launch location just a ways north of Juneau. Your guides will select a location for the day based on weather patterns and tides while trying to maximize wildlife opportunities. A quick orientation equips you with all the information you will need, and then hit the waters, traveling together as a group while your professional guide provides an informative backdrop. Learn about the ecology and wildlife of the area while savoring the 360 views - yes, cameras are welcomed on this tour!
- No previous kayaking experience required
- Numerous wildlife opportunities, but not guaranteed
- Private trips available
- Not available through the cruise lines
- Small-group setting, limited availability
- Lunch provided
At about 5.5 hours in total duration, this tour provides you with plenty of time to escape from the crowds and get in touch with that piece of pristine Alaska, all in the atmosphere of a small-group setting. The casual pace is conducive to taking pictures, chatting with fellow travelers and absorbing the compelling information from the local guides. Occasional wildlife sightings are welcomed along the way from curious marine wildlife. There's something special about the connection that a motorless, self-propelled adventure can provide, bridging the gap between guests and nature, and delivering that 'Alaskan experience' many are hoping to find.
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: The minimum age for participants is 8 years old, except if booking a private tour (minimum 6).
- Accessibility: Must be fit enough to paddle for 6 miles and be able to sit in a kayak for up to 3 hours. The kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 52 inches (132cm). Maximum weight limits including gear are 300lbs (660kg) for single kayaks and 600lbs (1320kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (198cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6’6″ have been able to paddle in our kayaks.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring will be included in your confirmation email.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Passenger Rate: $139.00 There are no child rates available for this tour
+ 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Juneau Shore Tours
Q:Will the trip still operate if it is raining?
Because much of SE Alaska is a rainforest, these trips do operate rain or shine. Rain jackets and pants are provided on this trip. If weather conditions are unsafe, the trip will be canceled and we will provide a full refund. This can happen on kayaking trips from time to time and will be typically related to sea or lake conditions, not rain.
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
Q:What about restroom facilities along the way?
You'll have a chance at the kayak base to use the restroom, but after that we will be entering the great outdoors. We recommend all guests follow 'Leave No Trace Principles' and should the need arise, we request packing all trash from the trip including toilet paper. If this is of concern for you, we recommend bringing toilet paper and a ziploc bag for easy packing.
Q:How many guests are on this tour?
There can be up to 12 passengers on this trip, and there is a minimum of 2 guests for the trip to operate. With advanced notice, we can accommodate larger groups on private tours.
Q:Do I need previous kayaking experience?
Nope! This trip is rated as 'Easy' or 'Moderate' and we can accommodate even beginner kayakers. There is a recommended fitness level with the ability to paddle for 6 miles and be able to sit in a kayak for up to 3 hours.
You are here:
A quick breakdown of what the typical timing looks like for this tour
- 30 minutes: Pick-up and cruise docks and transportation to kayak shop
- 30 minutes: Time set aside for orientation, gear fitting
- 30 minutes: Load up and transportation over to kayak launch site
- 15 minutes: Safety briefing at the launch site
- 2.5 hours: Scenic sea kayaking along the Tongass Coast
- 30 minutes: Degear, decrompress and transfer back to kayak shop
- 30 minutes: Return van transfer to downtown Juneau and cruise docks
This is a family-friendly Juneau shore excursion