What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
Pick-up from the cruise docks and many Juneau hotels is included and from there a short ride over to the kayak base at Auke Harbor allows time to get properly fitted for gear and equipment. A transfer over to the west side of Mendenhall Lake at the kayak launch station is followed by an in-depth safety orientation before launching the kayaks for a 2-hour guided tour around Mendenhall Lake.
- No previous kayaking experience required
- Limited daily permits, book early
- Not available through the cruise lines
- All gear, equipment and transportation provided for you
You'll have 3 hours to paddle along at your own pace, surrounded by views of the Tongass National Forest and of course looming Mendenhall Glacier. Glide past frozen blue icebergs and eventually drift towards the face of the glacier. The 5.5 mile loop takes you across the lake with changing scenery along the way before transfer back to the cruise docks. This is a family-friendly excursion for all levels with no previous kayaking experience required.
Can't get enough time on the water? Consider the Skagway Triple Adventure & Ketchikan's Backcountry Zodiac Expedition!
For a more comprehensive experience, consider:
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: The minimum age for participants is 8 years old.
- Accessibility: Must be fit enough to paddle for 6 miles and be able to sit in a kayak for up to 3 hours. The kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 52 inches (132cm). Maximum weight limits including gear are 300lbs (660kg) for single kayaks and 600lbs (1320kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (198cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6’6″ have been able to paddle in our kayaks.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring and how to prepare will be included in your confirmation email.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Adult Rate: $199.00
- Child Rate: $149.00 + 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Juneau Shore Tours
Q:Will the trip still operate if it is raining?
Because much of SE Alaska is a rainforest, these trips do operate rain or shine. Rain jackets and pants are provided on this trip. If weather conditions are unsafe, the trip will be canceled and we will provide a full refund. This can happen on kayaking trips from time to time and will be typically related to sea or lake conditions, not rain.
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
Q:What about restroom facilities along the way?
You'll have a chance at the kayak base to use the restroom, but after that we will be entering the great outdoors. We recommend all guests follow 'Leave No Trace Principles' and should the need arise, we request packing all trash from the trip including toilet paper. If this is of concern for you, we recommend bringing toilet paper and a ziploc bag for easy packing.
Q:How many guests are on this tour?
There can be up to 8 passengers on this trip, and there is a minimum of 2 guests for the trip to operate. With advanced notice, we can accommodate larger groups on private tours.
Q:Do I need previous kayaking experience?
Previous kayaking experience is not required with this trip as long as all participants meet the minimum physical requirements of the tour.
You are here:
A quick breakdown of what the typical timing looks like for this tour
- 30 minutes: Pick-up and cruise docks and transportation to Mendenhall Glacier
- 30 minutes: Time set aside for orientation, gear fitting
- 2 hours: Guided kayaking along Mendenhall Lake. The full loop will be about 5.5 hours and return to original launch site
- 30 minutes: Degear, decrompress and return van transfer to downtown Juneau and cruise docks
This is a family-friendly Juneau shore excursion