What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
This tour starts with a narrated trip to Mendenhall Glacier. Once there, you will be geared up and placed in your rafts. You will glide over Mendenhall Lake, under the instruction of your guide, to the mouth of the Mendenhall River. You may choose to paddle the raft yourself or have your guide expertly steer you down the 5 mile stretch of river, even going through 1 mile of class 3 rapids! Once you reach the bank, you can enjoy an Alaska-style snack and are presented with you very own "I Shot The Mendenhall" commemorative pin before being transported back to your ship.
- No previous rafting experience required
- Numerous wildlife opportunities, but not guaranteed
- Alaskan style snack and beverages provided
- Learn about glacial features and local history
- Rain gear, rubber boots and life jackets provided
At about 3.5 hours in total duration, this tour offers guests a chance to escape from the crowds, and get in touch with natural Alaska and its magnificent glacier features. The casual pace is conducive to taking pictures, chatting with fellow travelers and absorbing the compelling information from the local guides. Occasional wildlife sightings along the path of the river offer travelers the chance to see Alaska at its best. There's something special about the connection that a motorless, self-propelled adventure can provide, bridging the gap between guests and nature and delivering that 'Alaskan experience' many are hoping to find.
Keep the adventures rolling throughout the Inside Passage with the Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition in Skagway and the Backcountry Jeep & Canoe in Ketchikan!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: There is no minimum age for this tour, but all participants must weigh at least 40 pounds. Children under 13 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Guests 13-17 years old must have a signed parental consent to do this tour without a adult present.
- Accessibility: All activity levels are welcome on this tour, as long as passengers are in good health. Must be able to load in and out of raft, and paddle for short distances.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring will be included in your confirmation email.