What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
Pick-up from the cruise docks and many Juneau hotels is included and from there a short ride over to Mendenhall Lake allows time to get properly fitted for gear and equipment. Cast off, following along while the guide paints an informative backdrop of the ancient geological formations comprising your view. Calmly coast among floating icebergs and glide along shorelines, keeping your eyes peeled for river otters, porcupines, beavers, bald eagles and even black bear all known to inhabit this area.
- No previous canoe experience required
- Limited daily permits, book early
- Not available through the cruise lines
- All gear, equipment and transportation provided for you
The paddle portion culminates at the glacier's edge where you'll step on land and continue this adventure by foot. A one-hour trek takes you up onto the glacier and when conditions are right, explore hidden ice caves that leave you feeling like you're on a different planet. All the while, your guide is providing insights into the area and with a maximum of 7 guests per guide, you'll enjoy the intimacy of this smaller tour. Downtown Juneau will seem like a world away. Eventually, return to the canoe and retrace the journey, and enjoy all that this multi-sport activity has to offer. Experience Alaska on a self-propelled wilderness excursion leaving crowds and motors behind.
You know what goes great with a Mendenhall Adventure? How about Misty Fjords Flightseeing in Ketchikan & the White Pass Train & Bike in Skagway for a perfect Inside Passage Experience!
This tour combines elements of these two tours:
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: The minimum age for participants is 12 years old.
- Accessibility: Must be fit enough to paddle for 5 miles and be able to sit in a canoe for up to 3 hours. Guests must be under 250lbs. The life jackets can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 52 inches (132cm).
- Cancellation Policy:
In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring and how to prepare will be included in your confirmation email.