What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
With a pick-up right from the cruise docks, the tour begins with a short drive out to Douglas Island, where these teams call home for the summer months. You'll meet the mushers and excited dog teams who are ready and willing to take you for a ride! You can literally feel the excitement as they begin lunging forward and the cart begins rocking before the musher releases the brakes...and you're off!
- Dock-to-dock transportation
- 2.5 hours duration
- 1-mile ride with husky teams
- Family-friendly: Great for all ages
- Time to spend with the husky puppies
Mushers begin issuing commands and instantly you're being pulled by a team of 14 huskies. As you're seated between the musher and his team, you can feel the bond and the relationship they share, which is cemented as the musher may recount stories of their training or racing efforts. It quickly sets in that this just isn't a staged tour, but a way of life for these mushers. The 'kennel talk' after the ride answers any lingering questions before you have time to visit with the husky puppies. You can hold them if you're feeling up for it! You'll undoubtedly leave this tour with some amazing pictures to share from your Alaskan excursion!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Minimum Age: All ages are welcome on this tour!
- Accessibility: Most special needs can be accommodated on this tour. Must have mobility to walk 100 yards either on your own or with assistance. Must be able to raise knee approximately 12 inches.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: Alaskan weather can be variable so it's recommended to plan accordingly. Dress in layers so that you can take off an extra layer when the sun is out or throw on a rain jacket if there is a drizzle.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Adult Rate: $135.00
- Child Rate: $109.00 (ages 3-12) + 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Juneau Shore Tours
Q:How long is this excursion, and is transportation to and from your camp included?
All of our Juneau excursions include transportation to and from your cruise ship dock. The entire excursion (dock to dock) is about 2.5 hours
Q:Do I get to drive the sled?
No one knows the dogs like their mushers, for this reason, passengers are not allowed to drive the sled. Driving the sled, as well as keeping the dogs in line, takes skills and knowledge that is only acquired through experience.
Q:How long is the sled ride? Is it bumpy?
The sled ride is about a mile long. Sometimes, the ride can be a little bumpy, but our guides are usually able to avoid the bumps well enough. The speed, as well as the exact timing, of the ride is dependent upon both the dogs’ performance as well as the weather on the day of your visit. So, there is truly no way for us to say exactly how fast the sled will go on any given run.
Q:How many people will fit on the sled?
Six guests, plus the musher, go together on the sled. We normally run more than one sled at a time, so we can easily accommodate larger groups.
Q:Is the sled ride on snow?
In both Skagway and Juneau, our excursion takes place on the ground in the woods, and we use a customized summertime wheeled sled. Our summertime sleds are a great way to experience mushing without the cold temperatures and heavy snow of wintertime Alaska.
You are here: