What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
Start with a pick-up right at the cruise docks and transportation to the kayak base, which allows an opportunity for gear fitting and safety instructions for the day. Launch the 6-person water taxi, meandering out to the Inside Passage and exploring for whales and other marine wildlife along the way. In addition to humpbacks, this tour also provides possible opportunities for harbor seals, sea lions, Dall’s porpoise, harbor porpoise, orca, numerous bird species including bald eagles, and bears or deer along the shore. Your professional guide provides an informative narrative which serves to complement the views and offer some insight into wildlife behavior.
- No previous kayaking experience required
- Numerous wildlife opportunities
- Private trips available
- Not available through cruise lines
- Small-group setting, limited availability
- Lunch provided
Trade the 6-passenger motor boat for sea kayaks to continue this adventure in a more intimate way. Paddle together, accompanied by your guide, for a 2-hour tour along the islands. Settle into the rhythmic sounds of paddle and water, and peacefully enjoy views of the Chilkat and Coast Ranges surrounding the area. Then, head ashore to explore these uninhabited islands, part of the largest temperate rainforest in the world. The intertidal zone is constantly refreshed with curiosities being washed in from the surrounding Alaskan waters. A uniquely Alaskan experience that balances several great features on many bucket lists.
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: The minimum age for participants is 10 years old, except if booking a private tour (minimum 8).
- Accessibility: Must be fit enough to paddle for 4 miles and be able to sit in a kayak for up to 2 hours. The kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 52 inches (132cm). Maximum weight limits including gear are 300lbs (660kg) for single kayaks and 600lbs (1320kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (198cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6’6″ have been able to paddle in our kayaks.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring will be included in your confirmation email.
For availability and timing, complete the information on the sidebar
- Passenger Rate: $289.00 There are no child rates available for this tour
+ 5% sales tax
You've got questions, we've got answers
Juneau Shore Tours
Q:Will the trip still operate if it is raining?
Because much of SE Alaska is a rainforest, these trips do operate rain or shine. Rain jackets and pants are provided on this trip. If weather conditions are unsafe, the trip will be canceled and we will provide a full refund. This can happen on kayaking trips from time to time and will be typically related to sea or lake conditions, not rain.
Q:What if our ship is delayed or doesn't make it into port? Refund?
It's very rare that a ship is delayed into port, but in those cases we will try our best to work with you to reschedule the tour to a later time. If that is not a possibility or your ship doesn't make it into port, we will of course refund the full cost of the tour.
Q:What about restroom facilities along the way?
You'll have a chance at the kayak base to use the restroom, but after that we will be entering the great outdoors. We recommend all guests follow 'Leave No Trace Principles' and should the need arise, we request packing all trash from the trip including toilet paper. If this is of concern for you, we recommend bringing toilet paper and a ziploc bag for easy packing.
Q:How many guests are on this tour?
There can be up to 6 passengers on this trip and there is a minimum of 2 guests for the trip to operate. With advanced notice, we can accommodate larger groups on private tours.
Q:Do I need previous kayaking experience?
Nope! This trip is rated as 'Easy' or 'Moderate' and we can accommodate even beginner kayakers. There is a recommended fitness level with the ability to paddle 4 miles and to be seated in a kayak for about 2 hours.
You are here:
A quick breakdown of what the typical timing looks like for this tour
- 1 hour: Pick-up and cruise docks and transportation to harbor, equipment fitting
- 1 hour: Motorboat transport to Channel Islands & wildlife spotting
- 30 minutes: Time set aside for kayak orientation with the guides, safety orientation, and equipment briefing
- 2 hours: Sea kayaking and paddling scenic Channel Islands Marine Park
- 30 minutes: Island exploration around the tidal zones, beach combing, and exploring the temperate rainforest
- 45 minutes: Return motor boat transfer back to harbor
- 45 minutes: Return van transfer to downtown Juneau and cruise docks