What to expect and what not to expect with this Juneau shore excursion
As with most Juneau kayaking tours, your Glacier View Sea Kayak will begin with pickup by your cruise docks, however, it will soon diverge from the pack. This tour takes you away from Juneau to the North end of Douglas Island, for spectacular views and a serene setting you won't find on any other tours. After gear up, your guide will help you launch your tandem kayaks to begin your easy paddle through the Mendenhall Wetlands. Though spectacular views have surrounded you on your journey out to the paddle, this is when your 360 degree views of Juneau, its mountains, and the famous Mendenhall Glacier truly begin.
- No previous kayaking experience required
- Numerous wildlife opportunities, but not guaranteed
- Magnificent views of Juneau's moutnains
- Naturalist guides to teach you about the area
- Small-group setting, limited availability
- Snacks provided
Look to the West and you will see your unique view of the Mendenhall Glacier sneaking its way through the icy peaks that surround it, but bring your eyes closer and you may be able to spot a bit livelier of a scene. Seals, sea lions, porpoises, bald eagles, herons, and even whales have been known to peak in on the Glacier View Sea Kayak. Throughout the tour, keep your ears open for the unique perspective your guide has to offer on the area and it's flora and fauna; they may even share their take on the story of Smuggler's cove. When you return to shore, a delicious snack will be waiting to warm you up before you travel back to the cruise docks, with beautiful views still surrounding you all the while!
Continue your Inside Passage active adventures with the White Pass Train & Bike in Skagway & Ketchikan's Backcountry Zodiac Expedition!
Minimum Ages, Cancellations, Accessibility, Etc.
JUNEAU TOURS DETAILS:
- Restrictions: There is not minimum age for this tour, however children must weigh at least 40lbs to fit in the required life jackets.
- Accessibility: Must be fit enough to paddle and sit in a kayak for up to 1.75 hours. The kayaks can accommodate a maximum torso (waist-chest) diameter of 52 inches (132cm). Maximum weight limits including gear are 300lbs (136kg) for single kayaks and 600lbs (272kg) for double kayaks. People taller than 6’2″ (198cm) have a hard time operating the rudder because the pedals only adjust to a certain maximum distance. However, people as tall as 6’6″ have been able to paddle in our kayaks.
- Cancellation Policy: In the event your cruise ship is late, delayed, or doesn't make it into port we always issue a full refund for the tour. Changes or cancellations are allowed up to 14 days prior to the tour departure with absolutely no penalty. Including 'Flex Cancel' allows cancellations and refunds up to 24-hours before the tour. Any cancellations made within 14 days of the tour departure (or within 24-hours with Flex Cancel) are nonrefundable.
- What to Wear: We recommend you prepare for rain and hope for sunshine in regards to the weather. Due to the cool, damp climate it is best not to wear cotton and instead, wear clothing made of polyester, wool, fleece, nylon, polypropylene and/or capilene. A full list of what to bring will be included in your confirmation email.